Hey Jude Lyric Evaluation
by Miranda Rex, MA, MT-BC
Hey Jude is among the hottest and well-known songs of all time. Nearly any time I’ve heard it performed, it appears to create a transcendent musical expertise, the place everybody feels related and united by way of music. For no matter purpose, it appears to be a tune that simply makes individuals really feel good.
After I do a lyric evaluation of this tune, I’ve accomplished it largely in teams with reside music performed by me, and by utilizing the recording by The Beatles. I’d advocate getting a really feel for the group dynamics – or the dynamic between you and a person – when deciding which to make use of. I do know reside music is most well-liked by music therapists, however with a tune like this, generally the unique music can have simply as a lot of an influence.
Right here’s a breakdown of my course of utilizing this tune:
- Ask shoppers what stands out to them within the lyrics – is there something that has particular which means to them?
- Dissect the lyrics – I usually undergo every verse then do the choruses, however for this tune, it really works to simply undergo every part so as.
- Discuss what their ideas are actually that they’ve talked in regards to the lyrics vs. our preliminary ideas listening to the tune – has something modified? Why or why not?
- Discuss what the which means of the tune is – it doesn’t need to be what The Beatles meant for it to be, simply what the shoppers suppose it means to them or for them.
- Ask in regards to the formatting – Does saying “Hey Jude” make it sound just like the singer is talking to another person? Or are they speaking to themselves?
As soon as we end going over the trivia of the tune/lyrics, I introduce the supplemental process: A Word to Self, the place the shoppers will use the lyrics from the tune to create an encouraging word/letter for his or her future selves. We initially begin out with an analogous format of the tune adopted by a press release or two of encouragement, then it’s extra of a free write, although I often ask shoppers to write down at the least three good issues about themselves.
Pattern Word to Self following Hey Jude Lyric Evaluation:
I do know issues may be robust proper now, however you might be sturdy and resilient. Bear in mind to apply your respiration, and calm down your shoulders and your jaw – you gained’t even notice you’ve been clenching! You could have a robust assist system and have grown a lot. Be certain to take time to relaxation if you want it – nothing operates 24/7 at max capability. And keep in mind, your greatest and your 100% effort modifications day-after-day; don’t put strain on your self to be at peak efficiency day-after-day.”
Typically I’ve had teams request to listen to their letters in tune format, so I’ll sing their letters for them in the event that they wish to share. Different occasions, people simply wish to hold their phrases for themselves, which is totally wonderful.
To make it additional enjoyable, I wish to ask them to fold their letter/word up in order that it’s one thing they’ll really open when it’s wanted. Right here’s a YouTube video for the way to do it, until you had been a 90s child and already know the drill 🙂
I hope this Hey Jude lyric evaluation could be a useful instrument to have in your music remedy toolbox!