We start this episode of Peace Meal with visitor Maddie Duzyk describing her lived expertise with anorexia because it compares to her life in restoration. Reflecting on the on a regular basis impression of her consuming dysfunction, she explains how the sickness made it tough to differentiate between her personal values and people of her dysfunction. Happily, remedy and restoration have allowed her to seek out herself once more and reconnect along with her pursuits and roles separate from the sickness she as soon as mistook for herself.
As an occupational therapist, Maddie now helps shoppers on their very own restoration journey, together with throughout the usually tough transition from greater ranges of care to outpatient life. She shares with us her latest doctoral capstone, which explored the perceptions of social consuming behaviors amongst adolescents with consuming problems, and supplies ideas for these supporting an individual with an consuming dysfunction throughout mealtimes. She ends the podcast by expressing her hope that at some point shoppers and suppliers alike will acknowledge and make use of occupational remedy as an extra useful resource in consuming dysfunction restoration.
Maddie is a pediatric occupational therapist who obtained her grasp’s diploma in occupational remedy from Spalding College in August 2018. In Might 2022, she accomplished her post-professional doctorate at Jap Kentucky College, with a capstone on social consuming views of adolescents with anorexia nervosa. Within the consuming dysfunction neighborhood, Maddie is an energetic member of Kentucky’s Consuming Dysfunction Council and was a member of the NEDA Stroll Committee in Louisville, KY for 2 years. She has given a number of visitor lectures on adolescent psychological well being, spoken at state-level occupational remedy conferences, and taught nationwide persevering with schooling programs for medical professionals.
- The impression of an consuming dysfunction on each day actions and occupations
- How restoration can reconnect you to non-public values, objectives, and roles
- How individuals with consuming problems expertise social strain whereas consuming, together with from these round them and from social media
- Find out how to help individuals with consuming problems throughout shared meals and snacks
- The necessary function occupational therapists can play in consuming dysfunction remedy and restoration
In Maddie’s phrases:
- On life in restoration: “Life is a lot extra than simply these numbers on a scale or these miles ran in a day. There’s simply a lot extra magnificence to be found exterior of the consuming dysfunction.”
- On her doctoral capstone on adolescent perceptions of social consuming: “Frequent patterns… had been the destructive impact of social peer pressures and plenty of these pressures got here from social media points.”
- On her imaginative and prescient for the way forward for occupational therapists (OT): “I’d love for extra of a concrete definition of OT’s function in treating consuming problems… and for suppliers and sufferers alike simply to be accustomed to occupational remedy as a useful resource––an extra useful resource, not one thing to remove from the nice care that’s already obtainable.”
Study extra about The Emily Program on-line or by calling 1-888-364-5977.
In regards to the podcast:
Peace Meal is a podcast hosted by The Emily Program and Veritas Collaborative that covers matters associated to consuming problems, physique picture, and the way society could affect our considering.
Yow will discover Peace Meal on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, or Google Podcasts. In the event you take pleasure in our present, please charge, evaluate, subscribe, and inform your mates!
Are you interested by being a visitor on Peace Meal? E mail email@example.com for extra info.