Heidi Andersen is a Licensed Scientific Psychological Well being Counselor Supervisor, Licensed Consuming Dysfunction Specialist Supervisor, Registered Yoga Instructor, and Embodiment Specialist. She has labored with individuals scuffling with consuming issues as a therapist in residential, PHP, IOP, and outpatient ranges of care. She presently maintains an outpatient group apply of body-centered psychotherapists specializing in weight-inclusive therapy for the intersection of trauma, attachment wounds, and consuming issues by means of an anti-oppression lens and somatic method.
On this episode of Peace Meal, we discover the idea of embodiment and the way it pertains to consuming issues and restoration. Heidi covers the explanations we are able to turn into disembodied, in addition to other ways we are able to work towards reconnecting with our physique. Heidi additionally dives into how essential it’s for healthcare suppliers who assist others with their embodiment to work on their very own. She gives yoga as one device in growing embodiment, and it’s a apply she finds particularly beneficial to floor herself on unhealthy physique picture days. Recognizing that embodiment can typically really feel unsafe for people who find themselves not in white, straight-sized our bodies, Heidi hopes for a future the place embodiment is extra accessible for all.
- The definition of embodiment and the explanation why disembodiment can happen
- How we are able to begin to be extra current in our our bodies
- What healthcare suppliers can do to assist progress their very own embodiment
- How yoga can assist the method of embodiment and consuming dysfunction restoration
- How physique modifications throughout restoration are regular and find out how to present your self compassion in case your physique modifications
- Why embodiment is just not as accessible or secure to those that aren’t white and straight-sized
In Heidi’s phrases:
- On the true which means of embodiment: “Embodiment is actually about studying to expertise ourselves from the within out and expertise life from that place, fairly than the, ‘How am I being perceived as I’m doing this?’
- On the influence of society on disembodiment: “We reside in a society that has prejudice and oppression… We reside in a society the place we’re nonetheless being informed that one sort of physique is most well-liked, and so so long as that’s taking place, so long as it feels harmful to be in numerous sized our bodies, that’s gonna influence our embodiment.”
- On the accessibility of embodiment: “Embodiment is unquestionably a key in restoration, however it isn’t as accessible to everyone. Those that inhabit marginalized identities, it’s much less secure to be embodied. I feel that is a crucial factor as a supplier to grasp is that, embodiment can really feel like one thing that white, straight-sized individuals get to take pleasure in that marginalized identities can’t essentially take pleasure in… Embodiment and security in your physique is a privilege.”
Go to Heidi’s web site, reclaimingbeauty.com, to buy The Reclaiming Magnificence Journal and Knowledge Deck, learn her weblog, and extra, and observe her on Instagram (@reclaimingbeauty).
Be taught extra about The Emily Program on-line or by calling 1-888-364-5977.
Concerning the podcast:
Peace Meal is a podcast hosted by The Emily Program and Veritas Collaborative that covers matters associated to consuming issues, physique picture, and the way society might affect our considering.
You will discover Peace Meal on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, or Google Podcasts. Should you take pleasure in our present, please price, overview, subscribe, and inform your mates!
Are you curious about being a visitor on Peace Meal? E mail email@example.com for extra info.