Kezia Reeder is a former Emily Program shopper and employees member, in addition to a continuous advocate for consuming dysfunction restoration. On this episode of Peace Meal, she joins host Dr. Jillian Lampert to explain her holidays with an consuming dysfunction. Kezia’s perception is efficacious not only for these at present struggling, but in addition for folks and others supporting family members who’re.
For individuals who rejoice, the vacations generally is a exhausting time for people with consuming issues. Not solely do Western holidays usually heart on meals, however additionally they usually deliver stressors associated to seeing folks for the primary time shortly. This 12 months, as collective anxiousness surrounding COVID-19, vaccinations, and variants lingers, the vacations could also be particularly difficult. Reflecting on holidays previous with an consuming dysfunction, our visitor Kezia says she struggled at first with none exterior assist. She hid her dysfunction from household and pals, struggling in silence amid food- and body-related conversations and a scarcity of routine round meals. Throughout her restoration, Kezia explains that she used trial and error to navigate the vacations efficiently. The extra current she was in therapy, she says, the extra current she might be exterior of it. With the assistance of her therapy crew, she discovered the best way to enlist household assist—a key aspect to her restoration—develop a meal plan, and method vacation meals as simply meals.
- Easy methods to assist a liked one with an consuming dysfunction throughout the vacation season
- Why meal plans generally is a useful gizmo throughout the holidays
- Why it’s so necessary to not label vacation meals as “good” or “dangerous”
- Why assist persons are such a necessary facet of surviving the vacations
In Kezia’s phrases:
- On the vacations with an consuming dysfunction: “I really feel like I used to be continually careworn from Thanksgiving by New Yr’s Eve. It’s alleged to be a time of celebration and… in america, a variety of our celebration facilities round gathering for a meal.”
- On navigating the vacations in consuming dysfunction restoration: “Do what works for you, and there’s a variety of totally different ways in which holidays can look profitable with an consuming dysfunction.”
- On the vacations with out an consuming dysfunction: “They’re superior. They’re only a entire new degree of superior as a result of I understand how difficult they’ve been up to now. So there’s loads that I admire about it now.”
When you or your baby are battling meals this vacation season, The Emily Program may also help. Study extra about therapy on-line or by calling 1-888-364-5977.
In regards to the podcast:
Peace Meal is a podcast hosted by The Emily Program and Veritas Collaborative that covers matters associated to consuming issues, physique picture, and the way society might affect our pondering.
You could find Peace Meal on Apple Podcast, Spotify, Stitcher, or Google Podcasts. When you take pleasure in our present, please charge, evaluation, subscribe, or inform your pals!
Are you curious about being a visitor on Peace Meal? E-mail email@example.com for extra info.
Comply with The Emily Program on